Our Mission Statement
Koinonia is a Christian organization, the purpose of which is to assist parents in their decision to home educate their children by providing:
1. Opportunities for mutually supportive relationships between home schooling parents through spiritual, emotional, and physical involvement.
2. Opportunities for our children to build friendships with other home schooled children.
3. Academic classes for elementary through high school age students, administered by tutors with a Christian world-view.
4. Opportunities to further enhance our children's education through published notices of field trips, home school events, and other opportunities in the West Michigan area.
Statement of Faith
Koinonia is a decidedly Christian organization. While our Christian community is diverse in form and practice, it is expected that members and their children will align their words, thoughts, attitudes, and actions with the teaching of Scripture and the character of God as described in the Statement below, to the best of their ability. The Koinonia Board of Directors reserves the right to remove members and their children who are openly, in the Board’s sole judgement, exhibiting or promoting behavior contrary to this Statement of Faith.
Our Statement of Faith
We believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord. Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and was born of a virgin, Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell, and on the third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, where He sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From Heaven Jesus shall come to earth again to judge the living and the dead. We believe in the Holy Spirit, one holy catholic church, the communion of all true saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the gift of everlasting life. (reference: The Apostle’s Creed)
• We believe that God reveals Himself through the creation, preservation, and government of the universe. We believe that God makes Himself more clearly and fully known through the Scriptures, which are the only inerrant and infallible Word of God, our ultimate and final authoritative rule for faith and practice. These Scriptures are made up of 66 books, from Genesis to Revelation, the authority of which depend not upon the testimony of any man or church, and are all to be received as the Word of God.
• We believe that there is but one living and true God, eternally existent in three Persons of one power and substance—Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is perfectly wise and the source of all good. He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. In all things He is limited by nothing other than His own nature and character. We believe the God we serve is holy, righteous, good, loving, and full of mercy. He is the Creator, Sustainer, and Governor of all that has been made.
• We believe in the true deity and full humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, such that two distinct natures, divine and human, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion. We believe in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
• We believe that Adam was made from the dust of the ground and formed after God’s image and likeness, which was good, righteous, and holy. Because of Adam’s sin, all mankind is in a state of rebellion against God. For the salvation of such lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary.
• We believe that salvation is by grace through faith alone, and that faith without works is dead. We believe that God freely justifies His own, not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous for the sake of Jesus Christ alone. Adopted March 2020 • We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by who’s indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life, as the Spirit of Christ within us enables us to do freely and cheerfully what the will of God revealed in Scripture requires to be done. We believe that good works are only those which arise from true faith, conform to God’s Word, and are done for His glory.
• We believe God has appointed a day when He will judge the world in righteousness through Jesus Christ. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those who are saved to the resurrection of life, and those who are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
• We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ. All who are united to Christ as Head of the Church are united to one another in love and have communion in each other’s gifts and graces.
• We believe that God defined marriage as the life-long covenant between one man and one woman, and that all forms of sexual activity outside of marriage are sin. • We believe that God immutably creates each person to reflect His image as male or female.
Adopted March 2020
Koinonia was formed as a co-operative group the mid 1990’s and incorporated as a 501 (C ) (3) in June of 2003 under the name Koinonia Home School Group. The daily operations and decisions of KHSG are administered by the positions of Executive Director, Director, Registrar and Webmaster.
The Board of Directors, led by the President of the Board, oversees the direction of corporation, adherence to the Mission of the corporation and responsibility of contracting the 4 paid administrative positions. The Executive Director and Director are responsible for contracting all Tutors and assistants. Questions for the Board can be directed to the Executive Director or Director.
Because of financial and personal matters discussed, board meetings are closed meetings to the public. If you feel you would like to make an appearance or presentation to the board during a regularly scheduled meeting please contact the Executive Director.
If you have other concerns or issues that you feel require attention please see Conflict Resolution on the Policies page.